Social media is an umbrella term that defines the various activities that integrate technology, social interaction, and the construction of words, pictures, videos, and more simply….it just describes the millions of conversations people are having with each other across the world 24/7.
Why should we care? This YouTube video by triadsocialacademy lays it out, clean and simple.What the HELL is social media – in 2 minutes
The 10 really good reasons why we should care from the video:
1. Because it is now the number one online activity, beating porn and personal email to the top spot. (Source Nielsen Wire)
2. Because 2/3 of the global internet population visit social networks (Source Nielsen, Global Faces and Networked Places)
3. Because the time spent on social networks is growing at 3x the overall internet rate, accounting for 10% of all internet time (Source Nielsen, Global Faces and Networked Places)
4. Because online, including social media, has become the most influential source in helping consumers make purchasing decisions (Source Weber Shandwick Inline Research)
5. Because millions of people are creating content for the social web
Your competitors may already be there….
Your customers have been there for a long time….
If your business isn’t putting itself out there, it ought to be.
6. Because the next 3 billion consumers will access the internet from a mobile device
People update anywhere, anytime
Imagine what that means for bad customer experiences?
It’s called the super-fresh web which will force brands to engage with its customers
7. Facebook is now the operating system of the social web, it won the social networking war.
If Facebook were a country it would be bigger than the USA and the 3rd largest in the world behind India and China!
8. Because Twitter predicts it will have 1 billion users by 2012
9. Because one way marketing has had its day
Stop thinking campaigns and start thinking conversations, listening first selling second
10. Because in almost all cases social media is free
All it will cost you is time